When Andy was growing up, it was a tradition for he and his brother to have a picture taken with Santa Claus each year. It is a tradition we hope to continue with our children. (It sure is entertaining to look through the pictures of Andy and his brother from long ago!)
My snowmen collection
My Nativity Collection display. Somehow in 5 years of being married, I have accumulated 9 Nativity sets. No I have not purchased any of them. I must have it written on my face that I love them though.
This one is from Mom & Dad last year.
This one is a little clay one that is supposed to be a children's play nativity set (also from my parents.) When one of the camel's legs fell off as we took it out of the box, we decided that it was NOT a play nativity. You can also see most of the other Nativities (they're not all full sets, some are just a solitary nativity scenes.)
When I asked Ira which nativity set was his favorite, he pointed to this one.
This is probably my favorite set that I have. It was my family's Nativity set as a child. When my parents got a beautiful new one years ago, my mom told my dad to get rid of this (unbeknownst to us kids!) Luckily, my dad hid it away. When I asked about it this year, Dad brought it out and said I could have it if I wanted it. Words cannot explain how thrilled I was! Oh how I LOVED this set as a child. I always imagined that I was sitting up on the loft in the stable.
Our Christmas Tree. I LOVE how it looks at night.
Andy and I both received Hallmark (or Hallmark-like) ornaments each year growing up. They hold some fond memories for us each. I really enjoyed having Ira help me get them out of their packaging this year. Andy & I got to share with him our memories of our ornaments. It was such a sweet time. We are continuing the tradition by getting our kids Hallmark ornaments each year as well. It isn't cheap, but the memories that they hold are quite priceless! I'll share some of our favorites with you.
Ruby's ornament from this year.
Ira's ornament from this year.
Our ornament from my parents this year.
My first Christmas ornament. My mom always said she was so sad at how pathetic the "baby's first Christmas" ornament was the year I was born. But I always truly loved it.
One of Andy's numerous first Christmas ornaments. He was certainly a long-awaited, long dreamed about baby!
An ornament that my aunt gave me the year that we were pregnant with Ira. I think it's so sweet.
My Frank Sintatra ornament that used to sing "New York, New York" I LOVED that song when I was in High School (wanted to move there at one point.) Unfortunately, it didn't work last year when I got it out. I really wish I knew how to get it fixed.
One of our favorite ornaments of Andy's. It winds up and plays music. The train goes around in a circle at the bottom and the mirrored base moves. When you watch the mirrors, the soldiers look like they're marching. (SO COOL!)
One of my beautiful ornaments. It always brings back memories of doing Christmas baking with my mom.
Ira's ornament from last year (?) It plays 3 or 4 different Christmas songs and the toy soldier plays his drum along with the beat. Very cool!
My ornament from the year before Andy and I got married. I sure do love my Raggedy Andy!
Our beautiful ornament from my parents in 2008 - the year we lost our 3 babies. It reads "Every life leaves something beautiful behind."
Well, I hope you enjoyed my little tour and walk down memory lane. Perhaps I will take the decorations down now... Or maybe I'll just leave them up until next Christmas like Ira said!
2 comments:
I always thought that loft was the coolest thing too!! And Blackazaar. He LIVES. So wonderful. I like the look of all the Nativities above your kitchen cabinets (that's where they were, right? I suppose if you really wanted to you could always leave those up year round as just a cool "collection" thing. Maybe sans the greenery and lights? They do look very pretty. But I will admit, I was ready to see our decos go. I do keep our snowmen up until, oh, mid-February or so. And the Nativities until at least the Epiphany (and we have a small one on our prayer table I'll leave through the presentation). Anyways, looks good!
Michelle, our x-mas decor is still up. I feel nostalgic in the same way. Oh, and I'm going to try that granola, too. Yum!
Post a Comment