Ruby, unlike Ira, actually seems to "teethe." See, Ira was the kind of kid you never even knew was "teething." One day a tooth would just pop through. Easy! Ruby is the kind of baby that puts everything in her mouth (again, Ira didn't.) And when she's teething, she likes to have something to bite down on. So, being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to come up with a homemade teething biscuit recipe. I'm pretty excited with how they turned out and Ruby LOVES them, so I thought I'd share the recipe here!
Homemade Teething Biscuits
3/4 c. + 3 Tbsp. Warm Water (b/w 100-115 degrees F)
1 t. Olive oil
2 1/2 t. Sugar
3/4 t. Salt
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. oat flour (I just ground up old-fashioned oats in my food processor)
3/4 c. rice cereal
3/4 c. white flour
3 1/2 t. yeast
Add ingredients in order to bread maker pan and run on the "dough" cycle. Turn out onto floured surface and knead in extra flour if necessary.
Divide dough in half and roll out to desired thickness on a sheet of parchment paper (I did half of mine 1/8" thick and the other half 1/4".)
Transfer dough with parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, turn oven down to 200 F, and cut the baked dough into 1" strips with a pizza cutter.
Cut off the corners, so that you have nice, rectangular biscuits. Return to baking sheets & put back into the oven for 50-60 min. (until they are dried out like a crouton.)
Voila! You have homemade teething biscuits!
Ruby LOVES her new teething biscuits, and unlike Cheerios, which she wolfs down a handful at a time, these actually take her quite awhile to eat! They're great to give her while I get lunch ready, etc.
3 comments:
Very very cool.
BAM! The breadmaker is going!! (We've been having some rough teething issues around here lately). Maybe I should lace them with whiskey... ha
Anyways, I didn't have any rice cereal and didn't want to make the noise of grinding rice during naptime, so I just increased all the other flours and tossed in some ground flaxseed. I'll let you know how we (he) like them.
Thx again!
These look great!
Any idea on how to make these if you (that is, me) don't have a breadmaker??
Post a Comment