You see, for as long as I've been in the kitchen (since I was a teenager) I have NEVER been able to make pie crusts. I've tried Betty Crocker, I've tried Better Homes and Gardens, and I've even tried Grandma Gladys' No-fail Pie Crust. Heck, I even failed that one! I've tried just about everything I can think of and I still can't make a pie crust to save my life! And I LURVE pie crust! I love chicken pot pie and apple pie and chocolate cream pie... and I love the thought of making them... until I remember that they ALL have pie crusts... blurg...
So here for your laughing pleasure, are some pictures of the peach pie that I made for my family for Valentine's Day using Grandma Gladys' recipe. She would be appalled.
Before baking:
After baking:
Any suggestions or even more fool proof recipes to share? I mean, it still tasted fine, but who wants to take a pie to someone that looks like that? Not this happy homemaker!
4 comments:
I'll admit I use frozen pie crust.... With as cheap as they are, I don't (personally for me) feel that the stress of figuring out the pie crust is worth it. For chicken pot pie, try some frozen phillo dough and add a little melted butter on top. Its way better. :)
My mother in law was a famous pie maker. My husband learned from her and he's made some AWESOME pies at home. After she died he couldn't get a crust to come out right. Come to find out in the past 3 years there's been a change in the shortening/crisco you get in the stores. They've taken out the trans fats. So now we get our shortening from a baker who gets industrial portions. I don't know if that's your problem, too, but thought it might be.
Here's my husband's family pie crust recipe-
1 c. water
1 2/3 c shortening
1 tsp salt
4 c. flour
Put water in microwave until boiling (about 6 min). Stir in shortening until dissolved. Stir in salt and flour until fully mixed. Split and roll out between two pieces of waxed paper.
Do you read the pioneer woman?? Does she have a recipe for pie crusts?
I don't have a recipe to share with you, because like Katie said, I'm all about the store bought kind. If I were you, since you're not happy with what you've made so far, I'd use a new recipe every time until you find one you like.
As for culinary school, and it probably not being in your future, what about singular cooking classes? There are several different ones offered here in town. Maybe you could ask for a class for a gift - like birthday or Christmas, and your hubby or grandparents could watch the kids.
Post a Comment