Sunday, March 27, 2011

My special lil guy

Ira has always been so special to me.  Although we didn't find out what we were having when we were pregnant with him, I really thought he was a boy, and honestly really hoped he was too.  Perhaps I'm weird, but I just really wanted to give my husband a son.

When he was little, I called him my little buddy.  He helped me so much when we were struggling with our miscarriages.  He was a bright spot in a dark time.  And for such a long time, it was just the two of us at home during the days.  So when Ruby came along, a part of me really missed our "just the two of us" that we used to have such an abundance of.

So one day, I decided to take him to town for a special "date" - just the two of us.  He got to pick where his booster seat would go in the car (big deal for him!)  And I told him when we left home that he would have TWO surprises waiting for him when we got to town.  He was SO excited and just glowed with happiness the whole way to town (having attention lavished on solely him is something that just doesn't happen a lot anymore!)

When we got to town, he got to help pick out all the paint colors for a special project.  Then I blindfolded him to drive to our next surprise.  (He was positively giddy.)

I "unblindfolded" him when we got to Braums.  He was so excited!  It was a real treat for him because he'd never been to Braums (an ice cream shop for those who don't know) but had seen it dozens of times and asked to go there.  I let him pick whatever he wanted - a double dip ice cream cone with Birthday Cake and Peanut Butter ice cream.

He didn't eat a whole lot of it, but we saved it in a cup and brought it home and he ate a lot of it over the next few days.

He also got to go to Kid to Kid and pick out a movie.  They had Toy Story, which is like his FAVORITE movie right now (and also the only Disney movie that he'll watch.)  I had a coupon, so we ended up getting it for like 7 cents or something.

It was SO wonderful to get to spend some time "just the two of us."  I'm not sure who got more out of the day, quite honestly!  I love you silly little boy!  I hope we can go on a "date" again soon!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Spring has sprung on your blog! I love the new look. And what a neat Ira post. I can just imagine the excitement on his part. What did you paint?

Megan said...

That's awesome! I bet the just the two of you time was beneficial for BOTH of you!

What was the paint for?

Kansas Mom said...

My brother does daddy-daughter dates with both his girls once a month or something. It's really sweet. We've always talked about doing the same thing ourselves, but there always seems to be so much to do. I'm so glad you and Ira had a good time!

Katie Potter said...

Yea! I love one-on-one days with Aubrey. And I agree-I think I usually enjoy them more than she does.
Glad you got to have a great date with your special boy. :)