We have two less of something around here. Nope, it's not our kids. We plan on keeping them for awhile yet.
Ira "lost" his first two teeth on Thursday - 10/6/11. I put lost in quotes because it was more like "yanked out after much wailing and gnashing of teeth."
Ira had noticed right around when school started that his two bottom front teeth were loose. Not loose loose, but loose nonetheless. Some time after that, he noticed that his two adult teeth were coming in behind the still-there baby teeth. On the rare occasion that he would let me wiggle them, they didn't seem that incredibly loose to me - not loose enough to pull at least.
Well, we had dentist appointments on Thursday and the dentist told me that we really need to get those teeth out because the adult teeth are supposed to come in under not behind the baby teeth. They come in behind when the baby teeth get loose and don't get pulled in time. (Boy did I ever feel like the mother of the year...) So he said we need to get them pulled asap.
Not being one to have to be told things twice, I set after pulling them when we got back to my parents' to pick up Ruby. When (after 10 minutes of the wailing/gnashing bit) Ira finally let me put my fingers in his mouth, it took about 4 seconds to push the bottom left one forward and out. Well, you can guess that the second one wasn't going to be that "easy." It took him about 40 minutes of fighting tooth and nail (he he he I so punny) to let me even come near his mouth again. I only got close to it when my dad finally stepped in and helped hold Ira so that he couldn't really move. Again, once I finally got my fingers in his mouth, it took like 4 seconds to push the right bottom tooth forward and out.
It was quite the ordeal, and he's not real keen on the whole thing even still. He didn't want to show/tell anyone at school on Friday (but accidentally his teacher saw when he smiled once.) He wasn't happy that the tooth fairy didn't bring him "a 10 pound box of trains." And he wasn't real thrilled with the idea of me taking a picture. Luckily, he relented and I was able to capture this gem. You can hardly tell he's missing teeth because the adult ones are already so big! And for the record, those baby teeth came in almost exactly 5 years from when they came out. (10/2/06[R] and 10/8/06[L]) To sum up the whole experience: "It was like pulling teeth." Literally.
5 comments:
As a child, I always HATED it when my teeth were loose. I would not let anyone pull them and kept them in my mouth until they fell out by themselves. I even swallowed a couple because of it. I can totally relate to Ira.
you are very brave. there is nooooooo way i would have been able to do that.
i'm also impressed by your record keeping. i suppose i have it written down somewhere for ben, but for poor neglected max, i don't think i recorded that stuff.
Mary - I wasn't sure I could do it myself. Guess it was one of those, "gotta do what you gotta do" kind of things.
Ira has pretty good "teeth records" - Ruby, I think I might have written down the first few teeth...
lol! Kaylee was never thrilled about us pulling her teeth either. LOTS of tears and whining, and then, ta-da! tooth is out and she's still whining not to pull it. LOL! silly kids :)
YUCKO!!!!! I am SO not into loose teeth. Wasn't as a kid. Am not as an adult. Do you think I can hire someone when we have kids to do this?
Post a Comment