Wednesday, October 19, 2011

'Tis the Season

We're well into autumn now (actually having some cool/cold days even!) and you know what that means... It's time for PUMPKIN EVERYTHING.

I am really not typically a pumpkin-aholic, (just ask the three expired-two-years-ago cans of pumpkin in my pantry) but last weekend I was looking for a dessert recipe for having my sis's family over and found this utterly delicious recipe that I already had most of the ingredients for.  So I set about making "Luscious Four-Layer Pumpkin Cake" out of the Kraft Foods Busy Family Recipes cookbook that my MIL gave me for my b-day.

It was ri.dic.u.lous.ly good.  I would eat it any day over pumpkin pie.  Don't get me wrong, I like pumpkin pie and everything, but it can be so heavy and rich.  And although this cake was plenty rich, it just sat very lightly in the 'ole tum-tum.  I'm hoping to make this again to share at Thanksgiving!

Here is the recipe:

Luscious Four-Layer Pumpkin Cake
Prep: 20 min
Total: 1 hr. 50min. (including cooling)
Makes: 16 servings (or four generous ones...)

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (2 layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. oil
4 eggs
1.5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided  (I made my own)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 c. powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
1/4 c. caramel ice cream topping (again, made my own)
1/4 c. pecan halves

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit

2. Beat cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs, and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with mixer until well blended.  Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans. (I only have 8"x1.5" pans, so I just divided it evenly between the two and it worked great.)  Bake 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.  Cool in pans about 5 minutes.  Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.

3. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy.  Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and spices; mix well.  Gently fold in whipped topping.

4. Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife (I used my awesome cake-leveler); stack on serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers (you can be pretty generous.)  Do not frost top layer.  Drizzle with caramel topping and top with nuts just before serving.  Refrigerate leftovers.

5. Heartily enjoy!

This isn't the greatest picture of it, but we were all ready to dive in, so I just quickly snapped a picture for all you devoted readers. HA!