Monday, October 3, 2011

Homecoming

My college had homecoming festivities this weekend.  We've always wanted to attend in the past, but have had other commitments.  Finally, this year, we didn't have anything else going on.  So we decided to go.  Part of the festivities was a coloring contest for kids 0-5 and 6-10.  I printed out the page for Ira on Thursday and he was pretty excited about coloring his picture so that it would "come to life."  (After, that is, he got over his fear that he might not win... seriously.... we're talking tears and everything...I told him to sit in his room and think about it for awhile, about if he was going to be that devastated if he didn't win, that maybe he just shouldn't do it at all, that he'd have to decide if it was worth it to him.  He sat in there about 3 minutes and came out calmed down and had decided he was going to color it and he was going to win.)

Homecoming at my college is awesome and SO family friendly.  First off, it's in the late afternoon, which works great for parents of kiddos who still take naps.  Secondly, everything was FREE!  From the parade (where we collected at least a half gallon of candy,) to the carnival (with inflatable rides and carnival games and prizes,) to the tailgate dinner, it was all free.  Ira turned in his coloring sheet and scoped out the competition, and I've got to say, his page did look really awesome.  I was under the impression that they were announcing the winner at halftime of the football game, which we had decided not to go to (because it did cost money.) 

We watched the game for awhile from behind the chain-link fence, and were getting around to go when a couple of alums walked out and asked if we wanted their alumni passes to go to the game.  Hooray!  So we ended up going in right around the end of the first quarter.  After we walked in, the Alumni Director walked past us and said excitedly, "Hey did you hear the announcement?"  I wasn't sure what she was talking about, so I said, "No, what?"  And she said that Ira WON the coloring contest!!!  He was absolutely, positively elated.  It was so adorable, and I was so proud of and happy for him.  We ended up staying through half-time and then headed home because Ruby was ready for bed.   The kids both fell fast asleep on the way home and slept like rocks all night.  It was a WONDERFUL day and I hope to return to Homecoming for many years to come! 

Here's a pic of Ira with his fun prize!

2 comments:

Katie Potter said...

Yea for Ira!!!! SOOOOO glad you had a great time!

Monica said...

Congrats, Ira!

Glad it was fun. I've kind of contemplated going before but never too seriously. Looks like a great celebration.