Monday, April 18, 2011

Chef Ira

Sorry this post has taken forever... I've been too lazy to dig out all the old picture files until today!

If there's one thing that Ira has consistently loved, it is being in the kitchen helping out.

I remember when he was just one having him help me measure ingredients into the bread machine.
15 months old
 I remember him helping me make gingerbread cookies (and eating the baking soda plain... blech...)
20 months old
 And pancakes.
2 1/2 years old
 And cinnamon rolls
3 1/2 years old

And applesauce.
4 1/2 years old
And now he's becoming even more self-sufficient!  He peels carrots.

And the other night, he came up with an entire meal and helped me make it from start to finish!  I let him decide on and make the menus.

And he got to decide that we would have not just any rolls (or rulzs as he spelled it) but blue rolls!


And he invented our entree: hamburger with spices.  (1 lb. hamburger, 1 can corn, drained, 1/2 c. rice, kosher salt, and a whole slew of other spices from the spice rack.)  And you know what, it was actually pretty darn good!

Not only does he love to help in the real kitchen, he LOVES playing with his kitchen set, formerly known as Chinese Restaurant.  He revamped it the other day with an entirely new name and menu (that he typed up all by himself)!


I'm so glad my little boy loves working in the kitchen!  It will be a quality that serves him well in the future no matter what vocation God gives him!

6 comments:

Debi said...

That's really a wonderful progression of "chef" photos...he's a great phonetic speller!!!

Angie said...

I love the menus too fun! What a great exercise in learning! I don't always think its convenient to have 'help' in the kitchen but you're right those interests and activities will serve him well in his vocation! ;-)

Monica said...

Aw, I love that last pic of him with his kitchen. He looks so proud. The menu for his restaurant is awesome!!

Megan said...

I think it's so awesome that not only does Ira want to help and enjoys being in the kitchen, but that you have supported it and found ways that he can help successfully!! Good for both of you!!

He looked like such a big kid at 15 months!! I would have never guessed he was that young in that first pic!

Katie Potter said...

That's great!! I love cooking with Aubrey in the kitchen. I'm kind of impressed he can peel carrots. I'm nervous giving Aubrey jobs like that.

Colleen said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the menu! That is too cute.