Until we introduced wheat products at about 9 months. Then the diaper rash got bad. And by bad I mean like it would bleed bad. And it took forEVER to clear up. We bought some Triple Paste diaper cream (which I would HIGHLY recommend for any diaper rash issues that can't be cleared up by Desitin - it made a difference after just 1 diaper change.) But even that couldn't completely clear up the rash until we stopped the wheat. So we'd stop for awhile then try to reintroduce - no dice. And the really bad thing was, it seemed like any food we introduced made the same horrible diaper rash. Worried that Ruby's diet would always only consist of veggies, meat, and rice, I called our doctor.
He said it sounded like the new enzymes Ruby produced to digest new foods were very harsh on her bum (which totally made sense with what we'd seen all along.) Luckily, he also said it was something that she would likely grow out of with some time and patience. He said to still introduce new foods slowly and to try again with the wheat every so often.
So for her first birthday, you already know that I made her a rice cake "cake." Well, about a week after her b-day, we decided to try dairy products with her again (cheese had previously caused her bum issues.) Low and behold, baby girl loves cow's milk - as did her bum! It looked better than it had in months. Not wanting to push our luck too much, we stuck with that for a week or two before introducing wheat again and what do you know - she's totally good with it! Andy thinks it's the miracle of farm milk (pasteurized at home.) I kind of tend to believe it a little too. Whatever the case - we've taken off from there and Ruby is now eating everything we do. Strawberries, tomatoes, potato salad (which she LOVED)... you name it, she's eating it!
It is SO nice to be able to feed her whatever we want now. From time to time, her bum still gets a little red, but it's nothing that a little Triple Paste over night won't take care of. I've got to give props to moms of kids with food allergies. It was like a whole other world when Ruby couldn't eat whatever we were. It was tough, and I salute you for dealing with it each and every day!
Now, some pictures of a cute little girl enjoying eating!
| Would you like a bite? |
| Cottage cheese anyone? Oh wait, nope, I'm keeping this stuff to myself! |
3 comments:
Ruby is too cute!!
I'm glad her sensitivities have lessened / gone away! I feel so thankful that no one in my family has any food allergies...I can't imagine the extra time and effort (and maybe expense) it would take to deal with that.
I was actually going to comment there are SO many other alternatives than wheat ... even in cereal, rice chex and such. But sounds like smooth sailing from now on!
That's great! I'm sure this will make life a lot easier. :)
And I agree, she is SOOOOOO cute!
Post a Comment