Happy weird Monday to all my readers out there. (ha!) I call it weird Monday because the weather (along with the weathermen's predictions) are just weirding me out. It has been hazy/misty all day and they're predicting strong storms tonight. Hopefully they're just blowing smoke, but they've got me concerned nonetheless. Okay, let's get straight to the updates:
Friday, Ira and I spent most of the day baking. We made a strawberry-creme jellyroll for Andy's mom's birthday, which was really cool by the way. I've never made a jellyroll before, and the process intrigued me. You separate the eggs then beat the tar out of the yolks (plus vanilla) until they are fairly thick, then you do the same to the whites until they have stiff peaks. Then you fold them together, sprinkle flour and baking powder over the top, and fold it all together. There's some sugar in there too somewhere. It came out of the pan alright, but not without a fight. That was okay though because it was the inside of the roll that got all bungled up.
After the jellyroll, it was on to cinnamon rolls. We make cinnamon rolls a lot at our house. Like twice a month at least... yeah... It's an awesome recipe that I'll have to share in another blog post. After cinnamon rolls, we made "Make-Ahead Butterhorns" which are like the yummiest rolls you've ever had. You make them all up, then freeze them unbaked, so that you can pop them out of the freezer whenever you want for a quick side! I made some of them really big so that we could use them for sandwiches. Let me just say they were DELICIOUS with chicken salad!! Another recipe I'll have to share sometime for sure!
Saturday we spent all day outside planting the garden. We're getting sort of a late start this year because of Miss Ruby's arrival. So if the garden is a flop I am TOTALLY blaming her. We started tomatoes, green peppers, poblano peppers, jalapenos, eggplant, and broccoli inside shortly after she was born, so it was just ready to plant outside now. Andy had already planted potatoes, green onions, onion sets, peas, cauliflower, and the lettuces/spinach towards the end of March. In addition to those things, we also planted: green beans, cantaloupe, pumpkin, zucchini, butternut squash, cucumbers, and okra. If all goes well, we should have a great harvest this year!! (That is if it doesn't get blown down by the freaky weather we're supposed to have tonight.) Ruby was awake most of the day Saturday (I'm serious) so that made for kind of a rough time getting her down for bed. (I think from noon until midnight, she slept about 1.5 hours total.) She was pretty exhausted yesterday, as were Andy and I!
Sunday I awoke to Belgian waffles with strawberries and fresh whipped cream. What a sweetie my hubby is! We got to go see my mom for awhile, then went to Andy's parents' house for dinner. I've decided that maybe I need to "wear" Ruby to help her sleep better. I wore her in the Ergo carrier while we were at Andy's folks' and she slept pretty much the entire time! Hooray!! And last night, she went to bed at 9:15. Hooray!
Today, I've been wearing Ruby most of the day, and you know what, she sleeps REALLY well in the carrier! Thank goodness I was able to buy this Ergo. It makes it very comfortable to wear her for long periods of time. At lunchtime, I had to do something really hard. Ira has been throwing fits at the drop of a hat lately (like for the last few weeks or more.) Everytime it's mealtime, he throws himself on the floor and says he doesn't want to eat. (This is despite giving him a choice about 5 minutes prior to mealtime about whether we should "eat now or in 5 minutes.") We've been talking to him about the fits, but that hasn't really done any good. So Andy and I talked about what to do, and decided that the next time he throws a fit, we're going to "give him what he's throwing the fit about." Namely, if he says he doesn't want to eat, then he's going to go down for quiet time without lunch. Now, before you turn us in, we did eat breakfast around 10 this morning, and I'll offer him a snack when he gets up here in a little, but we have just HAD IT with the fit throwing. It's ridiculous and uncalled for, and he doesn't even do it because he's not hungry. I don't know why he does it, probably because of the change in activity from what he's doing. He was pretty upset when I laid him down for quiet time, so hopefully he's had some time to think about things and he'll do better at dinner time. Because if he throws a fit then... aye yi yi!! I don't want to think about it! I'll let you know if things improve.
Right now my house: looks like playful children live here. There are markers, trucks, paper, blankets, and baby toys strewn all over the floor.
Right now I'm thinking about: how spicy that last bite of barbecue sauce was!! Yikes!
4 comments:
Do you make your own chicken salad? That's something I LOVE but have never made!!
I wore Kolbe soooooooo much the first three months, and he always slept great in the mei tai. I still wear him to sleep frequently and then just put him in the bassinet when he's out.
I got a basket of little baby toys/teethers out for Kolbe this morning, and Gemma has been intrigued by those. The living room floor is very bright and colorful!!
Not that this will help, because I know you do the "5 minutes" thing with him, but whenever we are going to have a "change in activity" I tell Gemma several times, "Gemma, it's almost time to..." and this really seems to help her transition into the different activity, knowing it's coming and being reminded 2-3 times in a 10 minute or so period. Just a thought. GOOD LUCK!!!
Looking forward to the recipes you'll post eventually. Yum!
HOLY COW! I think your garden must be ginormous!!!!! I can't imagine having that much room in our garden. We're only doing: tomatoes (a few varieties), cucumbers, strawberries, eggplants, basil, zucchini, and peppers. And then some herbs on the porch in the pots. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough for all the other fancy stuff you have!
Too funny, Karen! Yes, the garden is GINORMOUS!! Andy and I refer to it as the "back 40" It's actually about 24' by 60'!! We doubled the size of it from last year. Thank heavens we have a well!!!
Post a Comment