Yesterday was just one of those days. After blogging about it, things didn't improve much, but we all made it through the day alive(ish).
Today, I got just what the doctor ordered. More specifically, I got my lab orders from Dr. Hilgers at Pope Paul VI Institute! Each little step on this journey is so encouraging. So what my sad heart needs right now. I think I may try to blog about our journey - the process, my feelings/emotions/reflections.
I am thoroughly impressed already with the compassion and care I have received from PPVI - and I haven't even been there yet! Each contact, be it by phone, e-mail, or letter has been so highly respectful, encouraging, and compassionate about our situation. In the mail today with my lab orders was a letter that I'd like to excerpt from here, just so you can see what I'm talking about.
"Due to an ever-increasing request for services, we regret that we cannot call you as quickly as we would like to; nor can we schedule your surgery as quickly as we would like to... Know that we are doing everything we can to expedite your visit."
Knowing that this waiting period is difficult, we are enclosing a complimentary copy of Women Healed, a compilation of stories written by our patients. We hope you will enjoy this book. We will call you as soon as we can."
Wow. Just wow. This is the kind of doctor I want to call my own!
I will probably devour the book today. Goodbye, to-do list; hello, just-what-my-very-soul-needed reading!!
Just listen to an excerpt from the Introduction, written by Dr. Hilgers' former personal administrator:
"...With Gratitude [to] Dr. Thomas Hilgers, Pope Paul VI Institute director who generously shared his time and expertise in contributing to this book and whose visionary and pioneering efforts in women's reproductive health have, with God's help, led to the healings these women write about...
The idea for this book came from Pope Paul VI Institute nurses reading over the many patients' notes of appreciation sent to them and Dr. Hilgers over the years. Their words have had a deep impact and have been saved and treasured...
As I shared these stories with Dr. Hilgers, he told me the deep gratitude of these women for his research, clinical and educational work was overwhelming and a bit embarrassing. He was concerned that this book would be viewed as some type of self-promotion, but that is not the goal at all. He asked me to edit out the praise, and I did to some extent but it was such an integral part of each story that to eliminate it would distort each woman's own story.
...I hope that the words of these contributors will provide answers as well as hope."
Wow. They just get it. all. Praise the Lord!
Thanks again for your prayers. We truly feel them working in our lives and are so grateful for the love and support we have received. Blessings! I'm off to read...
4 comments:
I am so grateful for the Pope Paul VI Institute! Our family doctor/OB studied under Dr. Hilgers and has been absolutely amazing! Sending lots of hope and prayers in your journey!
Prayers & much love your way. I too, am grateful for the Pope Paul VI institute!
Prayers & much love your way. I too, am grateful for the Pope Paul VI institute!
When you get there, be sure to go visit the 3rd floor chapel. It's an awesome place! :)
You're in SUUUUCH great hands now, Michelle! Thinking of you almost daily!
Hugs.
Post a Comment