Friday, October 1, 2010

A moment of silence please...

On Sunday, September 12, the Catholic School that Ira will be going to had an open house after Mass. We decided to go over to see the school (Andy went there, I'd never seen it though) and let Ira see his classroom and meet his teacher for next year.

I love the little school and think that it'll be a great place for Ira. The kindergarten teacher seemed really nice, and I asked her what times kindergarten was (we were still unsure about whether to send Ira to morning or afternoon kindergarten.) I'm not sure if it was entirely visible to everyone else in the room, but I'm pretty sure that my heart shattered on the floor when she said, "Oh we go all day now!"

A moment of silence for me while I pick up the pieces of my broken heart please...

Now, I understand in my head (and as a former teacher) the "reasoning" behind all day kindergarten. There are not enough hours in the day (especially in half-day kdg.) to cover all of the topics that students are required by the state to know. However, I vehemently disagree that the solution is making kids (especially 5 year olds) go to school for longer. The state needs to loosen up their requirements for one thing. And throwing money and additional time at our schools has done nothing to improve the quality of education that our children are getting. I would argue that kids today are dumber than ever because of the "quality education" the state supposedly provides (and forces all who want to be accredited to provide as well.) I just think that it is totally unnecessary and quite frankly unhealthy for 5 year-olds to be in formal schooling for 8 hours every day. And I think that the reason it is so common for schools to have it is mainly to provide daycare, which is just ridiculous. A good portion of the population is being punished so that another portion of the population can have free daycare for their 5 year-olds. It's just wrong!

I have given some thought to home schooling Ira, but right now, I really don't think it's God's will for us to do that next year. So slowly but surely, I am trying to come to terms with Ira being gone all day next year. Again, trying to let go and let God...

5 comments:

Kim P said...

Michelle,
I found your blog from Monica's, who is a friend of mine.... so you don't know me.... anyway.....

I totally agree with this! I also have a 4-year-old son who will attend all-day kindergarten next year and I'm already anxious about it. Pretty much everything you've said here is exactly what I've been saying for the past few months as I've tried to come to terms with this. I believe schools should offer choices for kindergarteners - some 5yo kids (esp girls) ARE ready for a full day, but some (esp boys) are not, and should not be forced to be in school all day. My heart just sinks when I think about all the time that I won't have with my son next year.... I mean, I know we'll have to adjust to all-day school at some point, but he's still just so young.

Oh, my, I just realized how long this comment got. Anyway, I completely agree with what you put here and hope that both our little boys will make smooth adjustments to all-day school next fall!
- Kim P

Angie said...

Hi Michelle. I am glad that I'm not the only mom who thinks this! I'm with you 100%. This is one of the reasons I've considered homeschooling for Kindergarten (only?). We too have a small Catholic school available but only with all day kindergarten. I've also thought about approaching the kindergarten teacher about only sending half days. I don't know it just doesn't sit well with me as a solution to some of the problems you mentioned above. Grrrr.

Mags said...

You're right...all day kindergartens are becoming more popular because of the day care issues. It's easier for parents to leave their kids all day long than have to worry about arranging for transportation (if needed) between day care and school. Plus it "saves" them money in daycare. It is very sad from my perspective as an educator. Remember when kindergarten was optional!? My how far we have come! Yes there is a lot of "content" to cover, but the content is doable in 1/2 day. Hopefully Ira will be able to have a nap!

Unknown said...

i have a friend who in wichita was able to talk the school into doing 1/2 day for a few days a week. but this year is the first for all day for all kindergardeners ... so they have a bit of leverage. it couldn't hurt to ask....

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

Hi Michelle, I pop in every now and then from Monica's blog! I'm sure you probably already know this, but SEAS in Wichita still offers half day Kindergarten. My son is going half day this year and it is perfect! We are not in SEAS boundaries, but they were not full for half day as most parents prefer to do all day. I have no idea where you live, but if it is Wichita, you might want to have a visit with Father about your concerns... which I 100% agree with you on! Good Luck!