I'll interrupt the numerous "catch up" blog posts that I have scheduled to bring up something that is fresh on my mind currently.
Awhile back ago, a very good friend and I had a conversation about raising kids and the topic of sex came up. She has studied the Theology of the Body somewhat extensively, and said how refreshing it was to be able to share the good news about it with her daughter. I had heard of JPII's Theology of the Body but had done no studying of it whatsoever, but, with two children now, I thought that being prepared for how I wanted to approach the topic of sex with my children would be a good idea. She recommended Christopher West's "Theology of the Body for Beginners" as a good starting point. Luckily, my younger sis had a copy of the book and happily loaned it and West's most recent, "Heaven's Song" to me.
It took awhile for me to get into TOB for Beginners partly because lately what I've read has been Berenstain Bears and Nursery Rhymes, and partly because whenever I would sit down to read it, I was inevitably interrupted by someone needing something. When I finally did get to read it, I found it fascinating and inspiring. I remember when I would read it in the morning and I would have those "Ahhhh" moments (you know the heavens open, etc.) where it really felt like I was learning something amazing. It was hard to then go about my day "as normal" because I just wanted that feeling again. I wanted to read more. Alas, my vocation as a wife and mother (in contrast to someone in a religious order) means that I must tend to my husband and my children and my household. And there's nothing wrong with that - as a Catholic wife and mother, part of my vocation is to go about my everyday duties in a prayerful, joyful way. Sometimes it's hard though, it feels as though there is somewhat of a disconnect between those "Ahhh" moments and the trifles (is that a good word for it?) of everyday life ("do you want the pink plate or the orange plate?" "please don't smother your sister" "it's not modest to undress for your bath in front of the living room window") And please understand, I am not saying this for any reason other than to put down in writing some of the muddledness/restlessness/unsettledness that I've been feeling lately. I guess I'm not so much to the reflecting state yet as I am the recording state. This is how I feel right now, the end.
In some of my thinking/praying lately, I have discovered that I am not the most critical person. By that, I mean that when I read something, I tend to agree with it (unless I blatantly disagree with it) without giving much thought to whether I really do or do not in fact agree with it. (Does that make ANY sense whatsoever?) The easiest way to say it would be to say that I am not a critical reader I guess. And I am trying to become more of one. That has made me realize just how unintelligent I am. Or maybe it's uninformed... I don't know, but I am realizing that there is a whole heck of a lot that I don't know/understand/have an opinion on. I guess I am a little envious of those who do have such well-informed opinions of things (with multiple resources to back up their opinion) I don't even know where to start to become informed in a way that I can understand but from a source I can also trust. This is where I was really digging Christopher West's TOB for Beginners. It was something I could understand and was from a source I trust.
Well then, this morning, upon recommendation from my older sister, I pulled up The Catholic Exchange's website thinking, "here is a place that I can come to learn about issues and form opinions on things" and what do I find but an article about Christopher West! How timely! But what I found sent my head spinning even FURTHER. The article was essentially a third writing on a topic I was completely unaware of, a debate between Alice VonHildebrand and Christopher West (although it's not a debate yet per se b/c West is on sabbatical I guess?) criticizing how West approaches and interprets the TOB. It all stems from an article written by AVH for the Catholic News Agency. Then a contributor for the Catholic Exchange wrote an article about that here. Where I finally stumbled onto the debate this morning is here.
I guess I don't even know what to think about it all. I'm still trying to form my own opinion on the matter. So far though, my inklings of opinions are as follows (and I reserve the right to change them as I find more out):
-I do not know a whole lot about Christopher West, only what I have read from "The Good News about Sex and Marriage"; and "Theology of the Body for Beginners," and a little bit of "Heaven's Song" but so far I have found him to be easy to understand yet thought provoking and insightful. I absolutely loved "The Good News about Sex and Marriage." It is a favorite wedding gift that I received and one that I too love to give. I am also enjoying the reflection questions at the end of each chapter in "Heaven's Song" Reading the books is truly a prayerful time for me.
-I do not know a whole lot about Alice VonHildebrand, only that I tried to read "By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride" and could not get "into it" and I read her article that she wrote for the Catholic News Agency. To me, in this article, she sounded more than slightly defensive and improperly informed on Christopher West's interpretation of TOB (at least from what I have read so far, although I'll admit, I've never seen videos/heard tapes/or attended a presentation.) Her article for me, was hard to understand (but I am only a person of average intelligence) I understand that Dr. Hildebrand is a philosopher, which means that her writings need to be read through academic eyes (mine are sorely out of practice, let me tell you.)
-Most of all, I think I am disappointed in the whole thing. I do believe that West's TOB for Beginners has led me to a deeper understanding of God's love for me precisely because of the language that he uses. I have read JPII's writings on numerous occasions and it is more than challenging for me to comprehend it sometimes. I guess to me it seems childish of VH to take such issue with West's TOB (as if he's infringing on her (or especially her husband's) territory or something.) She is certainly well respected and understood in the academic community (and I'm guessing although I don't know for sure, for good reason), but I don't think that is West's audience. I think he is writing to the average, everyday Catholic - namely a person like me. And quite honestly, I sort of think that they are saying the same thing in two different ways.
There is also a bit more about the debate on this website that is linked to in the Catholic Exchange Article.
Whatever the case may be - I just wanted to get my feelings down "on paper." This is far from a compendium on my feelings on the matter, nor a thorough reflection about my thoughts/insights on the Theology of the Body, but blogging about them has allowed me to clarify my opinion a bit, which is just what my muddled mind needed. I would be thoroughly interested to hear others' opinions on the matter, if you do take the time to read through the articles (which might take some time!) And sometime, I will have to share more of my thoughts on Theology of the Body.
For now, God bless!
5 comments:
Seriously, did you need to give me one more thing about which to read and think. Haha, just kidding. It's been years since I've read West, but I've always been very impressed. But I can really identify with what you say in this post. I like it a bunch, sis, props. I have some of the same feelings myself, about wishing I were more well-read, able to think philosophically, etc. and I try, I do. I read a lot. Most of my time online any more, besides bopping around Facebook and blogging, is spent reading Catholic articles. I think as mom's though, there's only so much we can do, because yes there are noses that need wiped (picked? haha) and meals that need fed and a plethora of other things that are our vocation and call in life right now. And I know that sounds kind of like a cop-out, but seriously... So I totally identify.
I skimmed the first part of AVH's article and the freaked out when I saw how long it was ;-D, and I looked thru the Catholic Exchange one (I really, really love that website by the way), and I am for sure intrigued...
I agree with you (man, I am all over the place in this comment), it is nice, when you can only do a limited amount of research yourself, to have a source to whom you can defer. And the Church is such a great source...and then you see stuff like this and you're like the kid who dropped all his books on the street while walking home from school. And then a car ran over them. Where to start?
Did that make sense?
In all honesty though, thanks for a thought-provoking post. Good job.
I don't have really anything to add to this, except that I very much liked TOB when we used it in our Vocations class senior year. I know I am personally very interested in doing more in-depth study on TOB in the future. I like to watch Christopher West's videos on the TOB website...I'd highly recommend them! Especially the one regarding the comparison between Hugh Hefner and Pope John Paul II...it's pretty eye opening!
So I've read a little more. The comments on the HHS/GSK article are good food for thought as well. I don't know, I'd tend to say both AVH and CW have very good and right intentions. I think they are in the business of speaking to two entirely different crowds...academia and the rest of us. And as I mentioned in my previous comment, not all of us have the resources to think and know as academically as we'd like. That said, I think, to AVH's credit, she has a much easier time walking a straight line just due to the crowd with whom she deals. It's the difference between the teacher who teaches at a private college prep school, and the one who teaches at an inner-city public school. Not quite the same comparison, but you see my line of thinking. The teacher at the prep-school has a very easy time not straying from the good and true, simply due to the nature of the kids with whom he is working. The inner-city teacher, on the other hand, in trying to "keep it real" runs the risk of changing or twisting things in order that he may reach his students. Are his intentions any less good? Certainly not. But I think he has to guard and keep watch of his motives in a different way than the teacher teaching the snobby rich kids. But by the same token, the teacher at the prep-school runs the risk of viewing the world from an ivory tower. Realistic? No. Each has his/her own challenges, temptations, etc. They're just different. Neither is right or wrong necessarily, but both has the opportunity to stray and must continually remember not to lose touch with the true meaning of the Good News he or she is proclaiming. And that is the best analogy of this whole argument with which I can come up. Make sense?
I really liked the comment that spoke of our need to continually take recourse in the sacraments. I think sometimes we get so caught up in these little squabbles, so to speak, that we lose focus of what is really important. And not that this is unimportant, but sometimes it is good to just refocus, and redirect our attentions toward the grace that flows from Jesus' sacramental love, and the rest begins to fall into place. Probably a very simplistic way of analyzing it, but simple isn't always bad.
1) I adore Alice VonHildebrand!!!! I read a book of hers I really liked. But I don't remember the title off hand.
2) West waters down TOB so much. And he's a bit condescending in his tapes he said (my loose interpretation): "You average people aren't smart enough to get it, so I"ll just do it for you." ... I was really insulted b/c I'd already read TOB from cover to cover. And I felt he doesn't give the average person much credit for their intelligence. Sort of like a lot of adults with kids and PSR "you're not smart enough to get it, so we'll water it down and just give you dribble." Kids ARE smart and get it. And the average person IS smart and could get a lot out of reading JPII's work as it was originally written.
If you are a logical person and can follow logical thought, you CAN read TOB.
But I can be a person who holds on to a grudge/insult, and West will be in Salina Sept. 10-11-ish. ( http://salinadiocese.org/family-life ). So I'm going to give him a listen. We'll see where it goes. I'm hoping hearing him will change my mind b/c everybody is "all the rave" about him.
At the risk of writing about that which I know nothing, I decided to comment. ;-)
I've never read anything by West (though I have read Theology of the Body...many many years ago), but my impression (based on other people I've read, but mainly Kansas Dad's comments) is that he focuses TOB only on marital intimacy when John Paul II meant for it to be much more than that. I just finished read "Parenting with Grace" where the Popcak's applied TOB to parenting. It was eye-opening.
I will say that I struggled quite a bit with TOB. It might have been helpful for me to read West along with TOB. I've heard lots of people recommend that.
Post a Comment