Towards the end of July, I was thrilled to host my first ever freezer cooking day with my little sis and a good friend. I've done freezer cooking days by myself before, but it was SO much more fun to share the day with other people!! Thanks go out to my awesome momma for watching our combined 6 kiddos (3 of which were 8 months and younger!) during the 9 hour day!
We made 37 meals total and butterhorn rolls. The count included:
4 pans of Chicken Enchiladas
7 pans of Shredded Beef Enchiladas
3 bags of Hamburger Stroganoff
4 bags of Marinated Chicken
34 French Bread Pizzas
6 Broccoli Chicken Casseroles
6 pans of Manicotti Roll-ups
64 Butterhorn Rolls
I'll include a few of the recipes below, and will post the rest in another post later!
Chicken Enchiladas (Quadruple Batch)
2 whole cooked chickens, shredded (I cook them in the crock pot for 6-8 hours, then shred 'em)
2 tubs sour cream
6 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans Rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
30 tortillas
Comine the sour cream, cream of chicken, rotel, and diced tomatoes. Set back some to top the enchiladas with. Add the chicken to the cream mixture. Stuff the tortillas, roll them up, and place them seam side down on a greased sheet of heavy duty foil in a 9x13 pan (make the foil big enough to completely cover the pan as well as fold over the top of the pan once it's frozen.) Top with the remaining cream mixture and the shredded cheddar cheese. Freeze, then cover with the excess foil. Slide into a 2 gal. freezer bag and you aren't without your pan for more than a few hours!
To eat: heat up in the oven at 350-375ish for an unspecified amount of time (until they're done!)
Shredded Beef Enchiladas (ninetuple batch)
6 lbs. beef roast, shredded (again, I use the crockpot for 8-10 hours, then shred them)
2 large onions; diced
2 c. plain yogurt
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 c. uncooked rice
8 beef bouillon cubes
4 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 T. parsley
1 T. black pepper
54 flour tortillas
Sauce:
6 cans tomato sauce
4 c. water
1/4 c. chili powder
1 T. oregano
1 T. cumin
4 cloves garlic, minced.
Prepare rice according to package directions, adding the beef bouillon cubes to the water.
In a large, large bowl, combine the shredded beef, onions, yogurt, cheese, tomatoes, parsley, and pepper.
Heat tomato sauce, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and garlic to boiling in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Pour some into an ungreased pie plate.
Stire rice into beef mixture.
Dip each tortilla into sauce in pie plate to coat both sides. Spoon about 1/3 c. beef/rice mixture onto each tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling, place seam side down inside a 1 gal. freezer bag (8 enchiladas per bag.) Pour 3/4 c. sauce into a quart freezer bag and freeze flat.
To eat: heat up the enchiladas in the oven at 350-375 ish for an unspecified amount of time (until they're close to done) pour the sauce over the enchiladas in the last 5 or so minutes of baking.
Hamburger Stroganoff (quadruple batch)
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 c. butter
4 lbs. ground beef
1/2 c. flour
4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. pepper
4 cans mushrooms
4 cans cream of chicken soup
(when eating: 1 c. sour cream, & egg noodles)
Cook onion & butter on medium heat until transparent. Add meat; cook & stir until it has lost its red color. Add flour, salt, pepper, soup & mushrooms; cook 5 minutes. Cool a bit, then fill a gallon freezer bag half full. Seal the freezer bag and fold it in half then freeze.
To eat: cut bag from stroganoff, put frozen into a 9x13 glass dish and heat at 350-375ish until it is warm. Add 1 c. sour cream and stir, then put back in the oven until it's hot. Serve over hot cooked egg noodles ( we used about 1 bag.)
5 comments:
Hooray for recipes! A friend and I are doing some freezer cooking trading, we double whatever we make, trade a few of the dishes and then we each get twice the variety of meals without the work of actually assembling them. As much as I really like cooking, it's been really nice not having to actively plan what's for dinner most nights of the week.
Once quick question: what size tub of sour cream did you use on the chicken enchiladas?
Also, another easy shredded beef dish is to cook a roast in the crock pot with a couple packets of taco seasoning and water, shred it and make homemade taquitos with it. We did this with the leftovers after shredded beef tacos not too long ago and they turned out really tasty! Just roll some beef and cheese in corn tortillas that have been softened in a skillet in a smidgen of oil (I have an oil spritzer for this which is really handy so they don't get too oily/fried tasting), roll them up and freeze them, seam side down, on a lined cookie sheet until firm, and transfer to a freezer bag. To heat just bake in a 400-425 oven for 10 minutes, turn and bake 5 more minutes on the second side. Alternately my husband has defrosted them and cooked them in the cast iron skillet on the stove as well.
I recently bought these two books when Barnes and Noble had them on their website for $1.99 each. I was so impressed after looking through one that I ordered extras to give as gifts!
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Once-A-Month-Cooking/Mimi-Wilson/e/9781616883454/?itm=2&USRI=once+a+month+cooking
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Once-A-Month-Cooking/Mimi-Wilson/e/9781616883461/?itm=1&USRI=once+a+month+cooking
They look like there are TONS of recipes we will enjoy in them. The family favorites books (the only one I've read thoroughly so far) has 2 month long meal plans, 2 2-week plans, a "gourmet" plan and another plan of some sort, each with all new recipes. It lays out what to do and in what order for maximum efficiency. I'm really excited to try them out.
Thanks for posting the recipes. I'm sure I'll be giving them a try next time it's time to stock up the freezer! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the recipes :)
(Oh, and sorry for the super long comment. I get really excited about cooking. I'm a nerd like that.)
Yum. Cooking in a freezer sounds good on these hot humid days. Oops, that's not what this post is about...;-)
On your cooking/reheating .... do you let the dish completely thaw before you put it in the oven???? Do you cover it with foil? Can you walk us through that process?
Elizabeth - it was a 16 oz tub of sour cream
Angie - I agree!! :-)
Karen - I am not usually with it enough to take it out in time to thaw (which you could definitely do in the refrigerator for a/b 24 hours) so most of the time, it is completely frozen when I stick it in the oven - it just takes a little longer to cook b/c of this. If you put it in thawed, I'm sure the cooking time would significantly decrease (probably 20-25 minutes instead of 35-45 ish?) I do not cover it with foil and haven't ever really noticed anything "drying out" because of it.
Hope that helps!
thanks for the recipes! I'm always looking for new ones! I'm looking forward to the rest!
Post a Comment