So apparently Ruby hasn't gotten the memo that I want her to start going to bed earlier... Wednesday night it was 1:40ish. I don't get it. It's not like she sleeps excessively during the day. At least I don't think so. I'm still not just a huge proponent of "keeping her awake" during the day. Although yesterday that kind of happened because we had some family in town, so we were at my mom's all day. She did sleep well last night (was asleep by 10:30ish? I don't know we were busy talking... then was up 3 times I think? during the night... pretty good if you ask me.) The problem is, I think she slept horribly all DAY yesterday... cat napping for 10-15 minutes at most throughout the day, never really falling into a deep sleep for a long time. That can't be healthy can it? It seems to me like she's almost on a weekly cycle with this whole sleep thing... by Thursday nights she is so exhausted (as am I) that she sleeps really well and before you know it, I wake up Friday morning and it's 9:30 and I've been dead to the world (and the talking Ira in the monitor.) Completely, absolutely slept through Ira waking up... Thank heavens he still doesn't get out of bed on his own! Well, such is the life of a mother, obsessing about sleep I guess. I remember doing it with Ira, and saying I wouldn't do it with our next. I guess I don't feel obsessed about her sleeping in some ways, I'm just so exhausted I don't know what to do... Anyone have any suggestions?
5 comments:
Poor Michelle!
We co-slept and that made a big difference. First Son was three weeks old when we started and I woke up that first morning feeling more refreshed than I had in months. When First Daughter was born we started using the co-sleeper, which is nice because it kept her right next to me so I didn't have to get out of bed but she wasn't right in bed with us (not that we really mind that, but it seems harder when they're teeny tiny). You could borrow the co-sleeper if you want to give it a try. I won't need it again until July. ;-)
Here's the link for the co-sleeper: http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Reach-Natural-Original-Co-Sleeper/dp/B0001D12XA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1272642606&sr=8-2-fkmr0
Also, my sister-in-law just bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FX8Y1AYQ9GFE&colid=EXTUM6EYDVB5
Her baby isn't due until the fall, so I can't say how well it worked, but it's quite a bit cheaper and looks pretty cool.
I do know I read somewhere that infant/child sleep cycles are much shorter than adults so the 10-15 min cat nap thing is really not as bad as you'd think for them. Beyond that I don't know that I have many suggestions. We coslept with Kate and just took her to bed when we went to bed, nursed and kept her in bed w/ us even when she was awake (unless fussing). That seemed to do the trick as far as the sleeping schedule went. But, perhaps she's just a good sleeper- we'll see w/ #2 on the way. ;-)
with my boys i felt like "rest promoted rest". when they napped well, the generally slept well. (okay, well is really relative. neither were or are great sleepers.) but when they didn't nap, they would get way over tired, have a really hard time going to sleep and then wake up every thirty minutes to an hour through the night, very agitated. if they were rested during the day, they would sleep closer to three hour stretches, wake, nurse, and go back to sleep.
make sense? probaby not. enjoying the more frequent blogging by the way.
Hi sis! I've got to second people on the co-sleeping thing. We didn't do it as much with Gemma, but that is mainly how we sleep with Kolbe, and it is soooooooo much easier, and I wake up so much more refreshed in the mornings. He starts out in his bassinet at night, typically before Aaron and I go to bed, then I pull him in bed with me after his first waking, and some nights he makes it back to the bassinet and other he doesn't, but it works really well. And yeah, there are times, especially in the early morning, that he is awake and wiggling or cooing or whatever, but if I'm still in bed I'm able to rest and doze rather than being up with him, and it's really nice.
The co-sleepers are cool, especially as Kansas Mom said for when they are super tiny. We looked at getting one, but then decided we wanted something more "furniture" looking, and we've been really happy with the bassinet we have and K still fits really well at a big almost 4 months!
Anyways, that's my two-cents. Good luck, hope your nights lately have been a bit earlier!!
Post a Comment