First, I rototilled the garden one last time:
Then I planted okra seeds, 9 tomato plants, 9 roma tomato plants, 5 green pepper plants, and 6 jalapeno plants. I also put in two hills of cucumbers and 3 hills of cantaloupe. I still need to plant: green bean seeds (need to soak - I'm going to go do that right now actually!), 3 hills of watermelon, 3 hills of zuchinni, and a row of sweet corn. The only thing we're having problems with right now is the stinkin sugar snap peas. We planted them once and nothing came up. I planted them a second time and as of yesterday only 2 of probably 18 seeds had come up. Any ideas?
We're trying our hands at lettuce/spinach for the first time. This is a spicy lettuce mix (Mesculun I think)
Here is the spinach. In the background you can see our delightful thrill: volunteer asparagus!! We've probably harvested 50 stalks to date! I let some of them go to seed so that they'll spread more.
In other news, we FINALLY made it to the dunes with our dune buggy!!!!!! (The one we drove to California and back to get- that's a whole 'nother blog) 
Andy's folks joined us at the dunes for some fun! Andy and his dad, Bill are in front. Ira and I are in the back. 
In case the picture doesn't convey the emotion clearly, Ira LOVED LOVED LOVED riding the dune buggy. This picture was taken at about 40 mph.
I hopped out of the buggy (well, maybe not hopped - that makes it sound like a quick process, which getting out of a 5 point harness, goggles, and a headset is not...) so that I could snap some action shots.
We became friends with a couple of guys from eastern Texas on the trip. We traded them a AAA battery for a ride for Bill in Jeff's long travel buggy. It's got an LS1 Corvette Motor in it and some great shocks. Needless to say, Bill had a fast, smooth, fun ride!
Although we weren't home much this weekend, it was a GREAT weekend. I am so blessed!

3 comments:
I'm having SERIOUS garden ENVY!!!!!!!!!!!! My little plot is about 1/2 the size of yours ... and to think it's DOUBLE the size it was last year. Humph....
You have to give me a break, this is our first year to even have a garden... so your 1/2 size last year was bigger than ours! :)
Michelle- Happy Birthday, Happy Mother's Day and great pictures of riding dune buggies...that looks like TONS of fun! What a neat thing to do on a weekend. We don't have dunes here in WI so it would really work so well but still...I felt like I was having a good time right along with all of you!
Post a Comment